Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I am Thankful Day 22

Good thing I listed several things in day 20 huh. (sorry this ended up so long- I tend to get a bit carried away)

I often struggle to sit through three hours of church. I tend to go to Sacrament Meeting and then Sunday School and sit in the hall reading my scriptures during Relief Society. I realized this Sunday how bummed out I am at myself for missing most of the Joseph Smith lessons.

I totally remember being sooooo excited when I found out we would be studying the teachings of Joseph Smith for two yeas and I know when I have read the lessons before hand and gone to class I have enjoyed it. I can't believe we only have a few lessons left.

Sunday evening I opened up the Joseph Smith manual and read these words; "The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have established the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series to help you deepen your understanding of the restored gospel and draw closer to the Lord through the teachings of latter-day Presidents of the Church."
I have decided to use the Joseph Manual for my personal study and to make sure I am in Relief Society each week.

I am so grateful for Joseph Smith. I can't imagine what it must have been like for him at 14 years old to have to explain to people that he had seen Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. To know that he couldn't deny what had taken place even in the face of so much persecution and opposition. To be called a liar. Remember when you were 14? The most important thing was to fit in- to be accepted. And here was this teenager reviled against and treated with total prejudice and even though this treatment caused him great sorrow he never denied what he knew to be true.
I am grateful that through the prophet Joseph Smith The Church of Jesus Christ was once again established on the earth. I am grateful that sacred truths and Priesthood keys were brought to light after years of spiritual darkness. I am grateful that Joseph Smith was able to bring forth and translate the Book of Mormon and that he was willing to seal his testimony with his blood. He was 38 years old.

As recorded in Doctrine and Covenants 135:1-6, John Taylor, while serving as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, wrote: "To seal the testimony of this book and the Book of Mormon, we announce the martyrdom of Joseph Smith the Prophet, and Hyrum Smith the Patriarch. They were shot in Carthage jail, on the 27th of June, 1844, about five o'clock p.m., by an armed mob--painted black--of from 150 to 200 persons. Hyrum was shot first and fell calmly, exclaiming: I am a dead man! Joseph leaped from the window, and was shot dead in the attempt, exclaiming: O Lord my God! They were both shot after they were dead, in a brutal manner, and both received four balls."

"Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord's anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated!"



2 comments:

Andrew Bosley said...

Although I haven't commented much one these thankful posts, I've really enjoyed them. You are amazing--thanks for being my friend!
maren

Tami said...

I've missed your daily posts. Glad you're back! I have always hated RS. I never found my place in there--all the women talking about families and raising children. Never pertained to me. I'd also rather sit out and read--or go home early.