Thursday, November 12, 2009

I am Thankful Day 19

I am really enjoying homeschooling Kailyn. I am probably learning wayyyy more then her but I love it when something comes up in conversation and she can relate it to what we talked about at school. Especially when she can explain what certain passages of scripture mean to her Sunday School class at church.

We are using a history based curriculum. We studied Ancient Egypt and now we are studying Ancient Greece. It is totally fascinating to me. The science always relates to the culture we are studying so with Egypt we studied deserts and now we are studying the human body. Maybe when this is all said and I done I can try out for the show Are You Smarter Then A Fifth Grader.


This month we have been reading Fables, Parables, Proverbs and Greek Myths. It is fun to look for the moral lessons that each teach and compare them.

I love it when Kailyn gets excited about things we read in the scriptures or in books. One instance in particular really makes me smile.
We were reading in 1 Kings about the prophet Elijah. There was a great famine in the land because of the wickedness and idol worshiping of the people and Elijah set up a meeting with King Ahab.
we started reading in vs 17
17 ¶ And it came to pass, when Ahab saw Elijah, that Ahab said unto him, Art thou he that troubleth Israel?

18 And he answered, I have not troubled Israel; but thou, and thy father’s house, in that ye have forsaken the commandments of the Lord, and thou hast followed Baalim.
(I love how the King is trying to blame the Prophet for the drought)


Anyway Elijah tells King Ahab to gather all the prophets of the false god Baal and all the prophets the groves and ALL the children of Israel at mount Carmel and Ahab agrees and does so.
The story continued in vs 21
21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

22 Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the Lord; but Baal’s prophets are four hundred and fifty men.

23 Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under:

24 And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the Lord: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.
(so the challenge has been put forth and the people have accepted-Kailyn was totally enthralled by this point.)

25 And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress it first; for ye are many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire under.
26 And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.
27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
(Kailyn and I cracked up when we read this- gotta love the prophets sense of humor)

28 And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.
29 And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.

30 And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the Lord that was broken down.
31 And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the Lord came, saying, Israel shall be thy name:
32 And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the Lord: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.
33 And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.
34 And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.
35 And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
36 And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
37 Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the Lord God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
38 Then the fire of the Lord fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
39 And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The Lord, he is the God; the Lord, he is the God.
(Kailyn literally jumped up off the couch and started cheering!!!! It was AWESOME!)
Here she is hard at work. We do most of our school work at the kitchen table but we also like to read outside if it is nice or in my bed all cozy under the covers if it is cold.
I am really enjoying learning about Greece and their beliefs and customs.
We check out most of the books we use from the library. Finding places to store everything can be tricky.
I like to plan a whole month out in advance. It helps keep me on track and organized. I have a planning book for me and a daily assignment book for Kailyn. I let her pick the order she would like to do things.

4 comments:

Andrew Bosley said...

You are awesome!!! And I love that story and Kailyn's reaction! Perfect!
maren

nelsonjeneen said...

You are so organized! I am not being sarcastic but for real. Wow Lisa... I wish I could be there. :)
Jill

Tami said...

What an awesome way to learn--for both of you! It seems you've really figured out how to make home-schooling a success. Maybe soon you can learn about Germany, then come see it for yourselves. (You could stay with us!) :)

Lisa and company said...

I have always wanted to go to Germany!!! Seriously if I had the money I would so be there!