Monday, November 23, 2009

I am Thankful Day 27

I have totally loved Allias being in the marching band this year. Watching him and the rest of the band perform and compete all year has been awesome!!!! If Allias decides to stick it out I am totally looking forward to three more years.

I am thankful the band parent's association finds so many ways to help parents raise the money necessary for their kids to travel and compete on such a grand scale. I am thankful for the time, talents and persistence of the directors and band staff. I am thankful for the kids and their willingness to work hard. The hard work pays off. West Johnston High School Marching Band is truly amazing. They made it all the way to Nationals and placed 19th in the nation. They were really hoping this would be the year they made it to the top 12 and finals but they should be super proud of coming in 3rd in their class (school size). And seriously 19th in the NATION is nothing to blink an eye at. Especially since they had over 60 Freshman!!!

We found out last night that Mr. Britt the head band director resigned on Friday. He didn't tell anyone his reasons only stated that they were very personal and he did not make the decision lightly. Allias was super bummed. He and Mr. Britt were pretty close and the kids didn't even get a chance to say goodbye (that could be good or bad really).

I think it will make it harder for Allias to want to stay in band but Travis and I are encouraging him to do so. We think it is such a great opportunity and a great learning experience. The devotion and discipline it takes will only help him in the long run.
Allias is in this picture. Second row from the back. Fourth Clarinet player from the left. (I think)
The theme for the show was "Modern Gothic- A Darkness That Needs Light. They had these cool pictures of Gothic windows that the color guard would change behind.
I couldn't decide which of these next two pictures I liked better so you get to see them both.
Isn't he so handsome? He looks so so so much like my brother in these pictures!
A group of parents made the props. Seriously talented!
Someone got a shot of Allias crashed out on the floor of the bus.
This is either on the way to or from Nationals. Totally reminds me of our road trips-
he will totally lay down on the floor of the van and just zonk out!
Camping out in Indie at Nationals.
I am sure every boy on the bus got a picture of the toilet.
The Colts Stadium where Nationals took place.
Mr. Cool (what I want to know is if he took this picture of himself LOL) Love this kid!!!!
The Mall.
Glamma!!
Allias and his friend Allison (yes she knows the bow is hideous!) In every mall picture he is carrying everyone's bags. What a gentleman!!!
Waiting on awards.


WAY TO GO WEST!!!!!!

1 comment:

rachel Saunders said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nelsons! Way to go Allias. I'm grateful Lisa for your wonderful example to me. Have a great week.