Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Grandma Loretta (I am thankful Day 11)

Looking through pictures for yesterday's post made me realize how thankful I am for my grandma. She is the only grandparent I have left living and is one of the most adorable people I know. When she called me last week she got upset and confused because I have a ringback on my cell phone. She thought the radio was on and someone was picking up and not saying anything. She tried six times before giving up. She was calling to let me know her sister had passed away. We talked for a long time about family. She shared things with me and I shared some of the things I had learned while doing research at a little family history library they have a few blocks from her house.

I was able to do that research two years ago when the kids and I met my mom in Ohio and spent a few days with my Grandma. I hadn't seen her since I was 15. She had never met my children. Being there with her was an experience Tyler, Allias, Kailyn and I will treasure forever. It was sooo hard to leave. I hope we get a chance to go back before it is to late. I hope she gets a chance to meet Travis. I know she will love him.

When I was a little girl my grandma always sent us packages of clothes she had bought at goodwill or yard sales. When I was a teenager and a bit more picky she would order me things from the JCPenny catalog. She always accepted my collect calls and was a comfort to me in hard times. I used to write her letters all the time and she always wrote back. I wish I would have saved those letters. Every time I talk to her it adds joy to my life.

four generations
at her parent's grave
My girls!!!
We took her to visit her sister Lucille at the nursing home.
This is the one that just passed away, she was 96.
These two were a riot together. He had her smiling and laughing constantly.
Seriously could it get any cuter then this?
She insisted on cooking us meals;
perfectly fried chicken and fresh corn that she took right off the cob,
potato salad and banana cake.
She was blown away just by the things my camera could do.
This is one of my favorite pictures of all time.
Her ancestors were some of the first settlers in Darke County, Ohio. They were from France. They came up the Mississippi River from New Orleans. The place where they settled was referred to as Frenchtown. They were called Frenchies. They attended a little Catholic Church there in town and her parents and a few of her siblings are buried in the churches cemetery. She has lived in the same area her entire life and in this house for over 60 years. She worked two jobs to make ends meet and raised all four of her children here by herself.
I Love you Grandma!

No comments: