Friday, November 20, 2009

I am Thankful Day 25

Just about nine years ago I found out some members of my church were moving into my neighborhood. I was soooo thrilled. All I knew about the family is that they the wife had just had a baby and they had three older children. When I heard they might need some help getting their new house cleaned up and ready I was so excited to get to meet them that even though cleaning is NOT something I do well I headed right over. Little did I know that one small encounter with the Rentz family would change my life starting the very next day.

The following day I went in for routine outpatient Gall Bladder surgery. I didn't come home for 35 days (super long story involving a punctured organ, massive infection and emergency bypass surgery).

Many many people rallied around my family during that incredibly difficult time but Denise Rentz went above and beyond. Tyler and Allias came to her house EVERY day after school. She helped them with homework, fed them a snack and kept them until Travis got home from work. It was one less thing for Travis to worry about while I was away and really helped the boys to have a sense of normalcy.

Later when we were called into the Relief Society Presidency together we developed an even closer bond that has done nothing but get stronger over the years. I can remember when we were serving together how she always saw the best in people and worked very hard to unify the sisters in our ward. It was sooo wonderful and uplifting to serve by her side.

We don't live in the same neighborhood anymore (we both moved) but we are in the same ward and I hope it stays that way for a long long time. She is now the mother of six fantastic kids that I love like they were my own.

I am so grateful to have such an amazing friend who does so much for so many people. I can't tell you how many times she has brought me chocolate, watched my kids, laughed with me, cried with me and kept me motivated to keep my goals. She is someone I know I can count on no matter what. She has never let me down (well besides for when she didn't think to find out if I had a ticket to the midnight showing of New Moon lol- luckily I was able to get one anyway so I forgive her lol!)

She is always telling me how much she loves me and how amazing I am but truly she is the amazing one. I am so blessed to know her and to be a part of her life. She is a great example to me of Christ like service and love. She is always willing to turn the other cheek but still stand up for what she believes in.

Tyler had a little journal that was given to him during a very difficult time. He only wrote on one page- and what he wrote was that his greatest desire was to return to live with his Heavenly Father again. At the bottom of the page there was a list of names of people who were helping him reach that goal. I think it was six or seven names. Neither Travis or I made the list. Actually there were only two adults mentioned. The rest were his friends. Three members of the Rentz family were written down though and Denise was one of them. She would be on my list too.

Dee I love you and am so thankful that you are my friend.

(This is us a political dinner in Raleigh with the mayor of Charlotte- It will never be said of Denise that she stood by and did nothing- she is always willing and ready to stand up against big government and far left extremist- she has helped me get fired up about politics and to realize that even my small voice needs to be heard)

3 comments:

Andrew Bosley said...

Ditto! Denise is awesome!!!

Andrew Bosley said...

ps: that was me maren (though I'm sure andrew would agree :))

Marianne & Clayton said...

I love stories like that. Not about your awful illness, but about the amazing people who go above and beyond.

And I really love that green top you are wearing in the last picture. So adorable.