Monday, July 13, 2009

Chivalry

I locked my keys in my van at the gas station today. I put them in my purse and then grabbed my debit card and ran inside to buy a coke. My purse was still in the car. Once I realized what I had done I called Travis to come and rescue me. We don't have a spare key for our van but I figured he would be better equipped to figure out how to break in. The guy working at the gas station told me he had a friend who he could call to come and help me. I told him my husband was on his way but I would let him know if we needed his help. As I was sitting and waiting on the curb a man pulled up beside me and asked if I had locked myself out. I talked to him for a few minutes explaining that I didn't have a spare and that my husband was on his way. He asked how far away he was and I told him it would be about 25 minutes. He told me he had a slim jim at home and would run home and get it. I told him that would be great but I didn't want to take up up his time but he insisted that he only lived a few minutes away and would be right back. About ten minutes later two guys in a truck pulled up next to me and asked me if I was locked out. I told them that I was and that someone had offered to run home and get a slim jim to help me and that my husband was also on his way. They told me the slim jim wouldn't work and that one of them had a lock out kit and only lived a few minutes away that he would run and get it. He was back in a matter of minutes. Right when he pulled up another guy pulled up with a lock out kit. They had me back into my car in a matter of seconds. As I was pulling out of the parking lot the slim jim guy pulled in. I felt kind of bad but was very happy to have had so many nice people trying to help me.
I told Travis that I had five guys offering to help me break into my car. He asked me if I was wearing daisy dukes. I told him I hadn't showered- hair was piled up on top of my head (I had been home cleaning all day) and that I was wearing knee length shorts and a baggy t-shirt with a flag on it.
He then asked me if it was the rebel flag.

4 comments:

Marianne & Clayton said...

Your husband's last comment was hilarious. Don't you just love days like that though? When it seems like people are ganging up to prove that humanity is kind and generous? As opposed to the other days- when you want to set fire to a Walmart. Kidding, but you know.

Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

I agree with your other commenter! You had me going then Travis had me bursting out with laughter! Love it.

The Johansen Family said...

Great post Lisa! Very neat story!!! Love the humor in it too!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

That is funny. And I am glad so many people were willing to help!Last time I locked my keys in my van Clark and Cal were inside too. Good thing I had turned the air conditioning on before I accidentally locked it!