Sunday, March 29, 2009

Adventures in driving

Last night I took Tyler and his friend to a concert. I was driving in the fast lane going about 72 miles per hour when the car in front of me quickly changed lanes and cut off a trucker. To my left was a cement median with no shoulder and to my right was the cut off trucker. I immediately realized why the car had so quickly gotten out of our lane. In the middle of the road was a HUGE metal something with wheels. It was all mangled and taking up the whole lane. I was going fast enough that slamming on my brakes wouldn't have helped, not to mention I had cars behind me. My only choice was to run right over the top of it. It was soooo loud and totally freaked me out. I just knew that I did serious damage to my van (that only has two more payments on it). I got off the freeway and pulled into a gas station. The car still seemed to be running fine so I figured that whatever damage I had done wasn't that bad. Tyler and I looked under the car and the gas tank and other low hanging parts seemed to be intact. The only damage we could see was the front bumper was pretty gashed up. We drove the rest of the way to the concert and then home and everything seemed fine. The drive to church was uneventful as well so I am very grateful.
I didn't even think to look back and see if the other cars in my lane managed to maneuver around the thing. I probably should have called someone to get it out of the road. I was just in such shock from running it over that I wasn't thinking of anything else.

1 comment:

Marianne & Clayton said...

Someone pays their tithing. Jk, sorta. What a scary, freaky thing to have happen- I'm glad you are all ok. It was probably the same stupid wheelbarrow that I narrowly missed a few years back. I still get heart palpitations thinking about it.