Friday, October 30, 2009

Feast upon the Word (I am Thankful Day 8)

Today is a teacher workday so there was no Seminary. While I enjoyed sleeping in I LOVE seminary. It is the most amazing thing and I seriously don't know what I would do without it. I learn so much every day (hopefully the kids are learning something too).

I LOVE the scriptures!!!! I am so thankful for the words of comfort and strength I find in the scriptures every time I read them. Yesterday our lesson was on 2 Nephi 32:3. There are two scripture mastery versus in that chapter although we only got to one. 2 Nephi 32:3- "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do."

We talked about what the word feast means. We compared it to words like nibble, taste and sample. One of the kids suggested we look it up in the dictionary. (Great Idea JJ). According to Webster a feast is a rich and elaborate banquet. We decided that feasting upon the words of Christ has a lot to do with the quality of our study and less to do with the quantity.

The lesson quoted Elder Russel M. Ballard, "Individual, personal testimony of gospel truth, particularly of the divine life and mission of the Lord Jesus Christ, is essential to our eternal life. 'And this is life eternal,' said the Savior, 'that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.' (John 17:3). In other words, life eternal is predicated upon our own individual, personal knowledge of our Father in Heaven and His Holy Son. Simply knowing about them is not enough. We must have personal spiritual experiences to anchor us. These come through seeking them in the same intense, single-minded way that a hungry person seeks food."

I love the primary song "I Will Seek the Lord Early"

I’ll seek the Lord early while in my youth, And he will help me to know the truth. I’ll search the scriptures and find him there, Then go to our Father in fervent prayer. I’ll seek the Lord early, and I’ll obey His living prophets in all they say. I’ll keep his commandments; his love will abound. I will seek the Lord early, and he will be found.

I am thankful for the many spiritual experiences I have had that have anchored my testimony. I am grateful for the the words of Christ that can be found in the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and through direct revelation given to modern day prophets and apostles. How amazing is it that there is no problem too large or too small that cannot be solved by seeking the words of Christ? That if we search for Him, He will be found.

No comments: