Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Design on a Dime

Well I never did find the pictures I was looking for. Honestly now I am thinking I never even took them. I must have just thought about it. LOL! The bonus is that ALL of my pictures are at least organized now by year and then by month. And they are all in one place!!!! The next step is going through each folder and deleting the ones that are garbage (too dark, blurry etc.) and then backing everything up. I am on a roll!!!!


Last spring Travis did some AC work for some friends of ours (Jeff and Deia). Despite his protests they really wanted to repay him. It just so happens that Deia is a brilliant painter with brilliant ideas and that we had bought some paint for Kailyn's room months ago but hadn't gotten around to actually painting (typical for us), so I suggested that she she come over and paint Kailyn's room as a "trade" for the AC work and she agreed. I wish I would have gotten a good before picture but this is all you get. Sorry.

Here is the only credit I can take for the room- I bought and painted the wooden letters, flowers and dragonfly.

We bought the paint to match a bedspread we already had, the only problem was that the fitted sheet had torn. When I was talking to Deia about needing to get new sheets she asked me if I still had the old ones. I was pretty sure I had thrown them away but after a few minutes of searching I found the top sheet AND the torn fitted sheet. I guess procrastination and disorganization have some benefits after all.

Here is where the brilliance comes in (not mine)- Deia suggested that I have someone sew a valance for the window and a curtain for the loft bed from the sheet.

Another sister in my ward is an amazing seamstress (she just recently repaired my favorite dishonest jeans) and so she not only made the valance and curtain but made covers for two throw pillows as well. She is going to use the rest of the material for these darling jean skirts she makes.
Here is the valance! Didn't it turn out perfect? I LOVE it!
The inspiration- doesn't the little throw pillow add just the right touch? Kailyn would love to have someone paint some flowers similar to the ones on her bed along the bottom of one wall- ooooo and I just thought of an idea as I was typing this. I can take some sort of tracing paper and make stencils of the flowers- draw them on the wall and have Travis paint them. Nice! Here is the curtain- Kailyn has a little lamp under there and spends lots of time reading, writing and hanging out with her stuffed animals.
This picture not only shows just how adorable the little throw pillow is, it shows off the new paint color nicely as well.
The only thing I have left to do is get some prints of the tutu pictures Shannon took of Kailyn for the walls and I am thinking a shaggy purple or orange throw rug would be pretty cute.
Awhile back I saw some super cute orange, purple and green frames at Ross that would have matched perfectly and I totally should have bought them because they are gone now. I also saw some long mirrors at Target that came in both orange and purple and I didn't get those either!
I keep waiting for the room to be "done" to post about it but who knows when that will be (this is where procrastination and disorganization do not come in handy) so hopefully you get the idea from these pictures.

The total cost for the room (not counting Travis' traded labor and the bedspread, pillows etc. we already had) was around $90

here is the breakdown
Paint and painting supplies- $40
Decorative rod for valance- $20
wooden letters and flowers-$15
(this cost would have been a little less but Molly ate half the flowers and two of the letters plus Travis broke one. I am sure if we hadn't taken a month to hang them up we could have avoided the damage.)
Orange sheets- $15

1 comment:

Marianne & Clayton said...

You had me at the title! What a great job! I also loooove that you included costs and so many pictures. I am totally inspired to go finish Eleanor's room. Only she is sleeping in it right now. But still, what a motivating post! I hope she loves it.