Saturday, May 2, 2009

I forgot

two really important things in my last post.......
I am reading Shakespeare. I am going to try and read of much of it as I can. I read A Midsummer Night's Dream first. I thought the characters and the plot were pretty poorly developed. I also have no idea how anyone reads Shakespeare without cheating. I found this very cool series that has the original text on one side and the modern English version on the other. There is no way I would have understood half of what I read without it. I was impressed with the sing songy rhythm and rhyme of the play though.
I just finished Hamlet. I liked it a lot but wish I would have had people to talk to about it as I was reading. I think Hamlet was like modern day actors that get so caught up in the "part" they are playing that it gets inside their head. In addition to the modern English version I also read the cliff notes and a brief history of Shakespeare.
I am not sure which play I am going to read next. I am leaning toward Macbeth. My other choice would be Julius Caesar.

I also forgot to mention that I attended a tea party on April 15th. I am making it a goal to get more politically involved. Conservatives need to band together to get their party back and to make our voices heard. We cannot sit idly by while the liberal minority push their agenda on us. We cannot be ashamed to take a stand for what is true and just and right and to stand up for morals and values. I heard a popular local radio host talking about sparring the rod and spoiling the child. He mentioned it in reference to spanking. I am not against spanking by any means but the verse spare the rod spoil the child has little to do with corporal punishment and everything to do with teaching our children the values that come from the scriptures. The rod is the IRON ROD or the Word of God. I actually called into the radio station and let them know what I thought.

Another tea party will be held on July 4th. I will be there to help spread the message that Equal Opportunity is not Equal Distribution. They will be held nation wide. If you would like information on one in your community or on organizing one visit here.
I also encourage everyone to read the preamble to their state constitution. Did you know that all fifty states mention God in their constitution.
Here is North Carolina's
PREAMBLE
We, the people of the State of North Carolina, grateful to Almighty God, the Sovereign Ruler of Nations, for the preservation of the American Union and the existence of our civil, political and religious liberties, and acknowledging our dependence upon Him for the continuance of those blessings to us and our posterity, do, for the more certain security thereof and for the better government of this State, ordain and establish this Constitution.

Remember what Ether said about this land-
For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands; wherefore he that doth possess it shall serve God or shall be swept off; for it is the everlasting decree of God. And it is not until the fullness of iniquity among the children of the land, that they are swept off. (Ether 2:10.)
“Behold, this is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heaven, if they will be serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ. . . ." (Ether 2:12)

At the Holocaust museum in DC there is a quote that talks about how we need museums like this to help us remember so history doesn't repeat itself. I guess I always question are we really remembering. There is a difference between learning about something and actually keeping it in your remembrance so that it guides the choices you make in your daily life.

*oh and I miscounted this is actually my 99th post! Pressure is still on!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

to be completely honest, I hate MacBeth, it's my least favorite. But don't let that influence your taste :) I know I already extolled Hamlet to you. The Kenneth Branaugh version of Hamlet it pretty much awesome. Also his Henry V rendition. Brought me to tears. Anyway, good luck! You're getting me into the mood to break out my full collection of Shakespeare and get reading :)