Friday, May 29, 2009

Add this to the list of reasons why

Kailyn was held back in the second grade. She is in the third grade now. Because she has been retained once she cannot be retained again in elementary school. The next time she would be "eligible" to repeat a grade would be in middle school. So here we are at the end of the school year and it is EOG time. I already have issues with standardized testing and EOGs but that would be a post by itself.

Because Kailyn has been retained she gets regular remediation. She gets pulled out for small groups and one on one time. I honestly think these things are helping and I am grateful for all the effort the school is putting in to help Kailyn succeed. But even with all this extra help Kailyn still continues to struggle academically.

I told Kailyn not to stress out about the EOG for two reasons. One I am homeschooling her next year and two she can't be held back again so her EOG score doesn't really matter. I told her to just do her best and everything would be okay. She passed the reading but failed the math. So tell me if this scenario makes any sense. Kailyn can't be held back again- she obviously is still struggling with learning- she would obviously need remediation again next year if she was going to be enrolled in public school- so she obviously should not be made to retake the EOG. Right?? The only reason to have someone like Kailyn retake the EOG after TEN hours of remediation is so they have a better score to put down on paper. So that they can say hey look we had this many kids pass the EOG. It has absolutely nothing to do with testing what Kailyn knows or doesn't know.

So in order for the school to look better the past four days- while the rest of her class has done whatever it is that kids do the last few weeks of school after the EOGs have been taken-Kailyn has had to sit in one place for five hours at a time and get math crammed into her head so that she could retake the math EOG and pass (which she did pass).

Do they honestly think that she is going to retain anything she learned in those ten hours?? If I hadn't already planned to homeschool her next year this would have put me over the edge for sure.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

It sounds like you are doing the right thing and taking matters into your own hands. Good for you! Sorry it has been such a headache and heartache for BOTH of you. Here's to hoping next year is MUCH better.

TheLittleDavisFamily said...

Unfortunately, this is exactly the way it is. I completely disagree with the system. Thank you for reminding me of what I have to look forward to in North Carolina. :) Luckily things were a little different out here. The good news: I will be back soon! If you need any help with homeschooling, I would be glad to help! Good luck with everything!

Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

It really is a stinky system. Are you going to year round school her? Would that help her with retention. I love year round school schedules personally.

Amanda said...

That breaks my heart for her, but thank goodness she has a mom that cares so much.

Kristin said...

one of the MANY reasons why I hate the public school system. Good luck next year with homeschooling.