Sunday, May 31, 2009

What I'm fighting for

Sometimes when I hear a song the lyrics just really hit home. This song is by a band called Matisyahu. They are a Reggae group and the lead singer is Jewish. What I love about his music is all of the songs have so much meaning and history. For the past month or so if you call me this is the song you will hear as you wait for me to answer.
Every time I hear it reminds me to keep things in perspective. It makes me grateful that I have a knowledge of the fullness of the gospel and that through the gift of the Holy Ghost I can discern good from evil. It reminds me to go to the temple and do the work that unites me to the past. It reminds me that I am an heir to the promises made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. And even though it is not written in the lyrics of the song- it reminds me that the Jewish people will someday come to a knowledge that Jesus is the Christ and that they are His chosen people.

I am so grateful for all the Lord has done for me and for the compassion he has shown me.
Christ said- "In the world ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
We are not alone.
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
(Alma 7:11-12)

Here is the music and lyrics to What I'm Fighting For by Matisyahu



What I'm fighting for
Is worth far more than silver and gold
What I'm fighting for
Is a chance to unite the past
When a brothers coming home at last
Fighting together for lives
Sons and daughters of Abraham
Lay down to a higher command
Don't be tricked by the acts of man
Gods wisdom revealed in a holy plan
A chance to unite the past
When a brothers coming home at last
Fighting together for lives
To Zion we roll and we're not all alone
Unite and you will find
What I'm fighting for
Is worth far more than silver and gold
What I'm fighting for
Is a chance to unite the past
When a brothers coming home at last
Fighting together for lives
To Zion we roll and we're not all alone
Unite and you will find
What I'm fighting for
-Matisyahu

1 comment:

Grandma Becky said...

lisa i tried to post a comment about allias bday page it is so great but couldnt get my email to go through so iam trying here ilove you and guess what i got the dress on ebay!!!! see you soon love,mom