Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Off for now

I took Allias into his new orthodontist last week. He hasn't seen any orthodontist since December because of school/moving issues so I was super surprised at the result of our visit.
He got braces about 18 months ago because he has a severe cross bite and some other crowding issues. The new ortho looked at his mouth and said that although his teeth were now straight- his cross bite was not improving even with the jaw lock in place. He said that as long as Allias' jaw keeps growing in the wrong direction (which is what it is doing) they will be fighting a losing battle. We made the decision to take the braces off for now and let him finish growing. In four or five years depending on the severity of the cross bite they will either put him back in braces or he will have to have surgery on his jaw. But for now he is braces free and loving it! He picked Duke Blue retainers with a basketball on them (go figure) but he doesn't get those until Thursday.

Here is the before picture-

Getting them off!
All off!!!
Allias with his I got my braces off party pack (goody bag filled with all the things he "wasn't supposed to eat" while he had braces on) jerky, gum, popcorn, fruit snacks, corn nuts etc.
Awwww look at that smile!
I can't believe this kid is turning 16 in a few months!!!
Kailyn goes in next month for her evaluation to get braces. From what I have been told so far it looks like she will be in braces for the next four years! I guess I should feel lucky I am only paying for one kid at a time!

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Sorry I have been seeing all your posts and havent yet commented on any of them.... despite the fact that i am in love with your family and miss you so much! I LOVE all the pictures... i.... must... see .... you .... soon!