Monday, September 28, 2009

Brace Face and Band Geek (or in other words catching up with Allias)

We have known for a few years that Allias would need braces at some point. Once he lost all but two of his baby teeth we took him to the Dental School at UNC to be examined. You have to be a learning case in order for them to accept you into the program. If you are accepted the cost is substantially lower then if you went to a regular orthodontist. They looked at Allias for all of five seconds that first appointment- it turns out he has a severe cross bite that will cause him serious jaw problems if not corrected early. He has had his braces for a week now and is starting to get used to them. Playing the clarinet causes him some discomfort and he couldn't really eat anything for the first few days but all in all things are going okay.

Here he is waiting to find out his treatment plan (this was our second appointment). He was really thrilled to be getting braces.
One side of his mouth. The orthodontist said that very back tooth is one of the strangest he has ever seen in his life.
Here is the other side. (probably not that exciting for most of you but I know my mom will like it). Allias went in the bathroom and pulled out his last baby tooth while we were at the appointment.
The pictures they took- they said his face shape and jaw line will change once he is done with his treatment plan- crazy!
Honestly I think he looks pretty adorable with or without braces but I am happy we caught the jaw issue early enough and it is being corrected.
Since school started and even part of the summer Allias has been crazy busy with marching band. I have loved every minute of it but him not so much. He would like to quit after this season and only do concert band next year but I am hoping by the time they go to march in the Indianapolis Colts Stadium for Nationals in November he will change his mind. I am not sure exactly what it is that he doesn't like but I sure love watching him march and perform. This weekend was one of the busiest he has had so far. Thursday was early release but the band stayed and rehearsed until six o'clock- ate dinner at the school and then performed during the half time show at the football game. He got home around 11.
(sorry the picture is a little blurry it is a snapshot from a video).
Friday was no school but the band had a mini camp all day- then up bright and early Saturday to march in the Mule Days parade-after the parade they headed back to school to rehearse- they were supposed to compete that night at Clayton High School but it was canceled because of rain. Allias was bummed they didn't get to compete. I was bummed too because most of the competitions will be out of town and I was looking forward to watching this one.
Allias is the cutest clarinet player for sure!!!
This horse stood perfectly still- even when the cowboy was cracking the whip!
The Band Parents didn't have it much easier. Thursday I was up at the school helping to set up and serve dinner for the kids then I helped clean up. Travis went to the game to watch Allias march and I came home to get some sleep but ended up staying up until they got home. Friday morning I was up by 5:30 making lunches and then Kailyn and I headed to Mule Days to sell t-shirts- came home briefly and then dropped Kailyn off at a friends and headed to the RBC Center to work at a concession stand (we get part of the profit to help pay for band travel fees). I got home around 11 and then was up again Saturday morning to sell refreshments on the parade route. Luckily they were fully staffed and I was able to just sit and enjoy and the parade although it was nothing like Apple Blossom.
Just for fun here are Cutie K and I waiting for the parade to start

6 comments:

maren bosley said...

I'm tired just reading about your weekend! I'm glad you're enjoying it though!
maren

Brittney said...

Allia looks good with braces! I bet having to learn to play again with braces is hard!! The picture of you and k is REALLY darling! You look like your having to much fun with out me though...STOP! ;)

Brittney said...

Allia ahaha i mean AliZA

Dianna said...

I so want to check out that tooth!!!

Lisa and company said...

Too funny Dianna I almost wrote right in my blog that only my mom and Dianna will appreciate these molds and pictures

Amanda said...

That was amazing. I can't wait to see how he changes after the braces.