Sunday, July 11, 2010

knowing

Having a child with mental illness is super hard. Like many things it is one of those situations that you can't really understand unless you live it day in and day out. I don't expect anyone to really know what we are going through. I actually don't even expect them to try. I even recognize that I don't truly understand what it is like for Tyler and that quite possibly it may be harder on him then it is on us.
Despite all of the mixed emotions and uncertainty there are some things I understand with absolute clarity. I know that Heavenly Father knows me and that He knows Tyler. My dependence on the Lord is real. I have been humbled in ways I didn't think were possible. I have cried out to the Lord and sometimes I have just cried. I have had my prayers answered and I have felt the love of the Lord and I have seen the "multitude of His tender mercies" continually. We have been blessed with so many Christlike people in our lives that have reached out their arms and hands in support of my son and my family in the most desperate of times.
I don't know what the years ahead hold for Tyler. Honestly I don't know what the days ahead hold for him. I can only continue to hope and to pray and to love. It isn't easy and I don't do it perfectly. I really struggle to even do it well sometimes but I am trying.
*thank you Kevin for this picture- it is a treasure

3 comments:

Kevin A said...

It was truly a case of watching a moment develop and hoping you got it right. You came up as Tyler was sitting there and started talking about him and to him and it was all you and him. All i had to do was hit the shutter and not screw it up! Of course, there is some small amount of skill in not screwing up, but mostly, I am just the messenger; the love you share (and your whole family shares) is the message. It was a truly special evening, and I was honored to be there to share it.

Kristen said...

You are so wonderful, Lisa! Love you! :) The picture is priceless.

Tami said...

I'm catching up in the world of blogging...
I really, really love this picture. So beautiful!